35 and free!

The cool thing about starting blogs on your birthday is that you never forget you blogiversary! 

On the 17th March 2010, 4 years ago, I started blogging over at Al's Food & Fitness Adventures and last year I made the switch to Love Life Lexi. My old blog is still there (and still gets a good 1000+ views per week!), even though I no longer write for that blog I am still super proud of all the work I put into it for those 3.5 years, which is why it remains out there in cyberspace for all to see (and read, evidently!). I'm glad that even over 6 months later people still enjoy the content there, it reaffirms my faith that my time was well spent and that I must be a decent writer after all!

My little writing corner



Despite the move, I still write a lot of food & fitness content and it remains popular (right up there with my nerdy posts, I must have a really interesting demographic of readers!) as it's something that will always be an important part of my life. Learning about diet and nutrition made has given me a much healthier outlook on life, as well as made me respect and appreciate my body a lot more than I used to, but I'm still glad I branched out to cover more topics as it's made blogging more enjoyable to me. Writing a lifestyle blog has challenged me to write about things I'd never done before and helped me learn about writing for different audiences. Plus, I get to inflict all my Doctor Who tat on you. YOU LOVE IT REALLY.

Witness how I burn through disposable income. NOT EVEN SORRY.

Anyhoo, I digress, my blogiversary is also my own very real, cake-eating, candle-blowing birthday and this year I turn the grand age of 35.
THIRTY FIVE!! How sexy is 35?! Loving 35. I'll write another post next week telling you all about what I did for my birthday (it involves museums, galleries, satchels and cake). 

Another truly awesome thing has happened during this birthday week- I've made my final student loan payment. I'M FREE! For the first time since I was 19 years old I have no debts. NOTHING. I'm a free woman, and that deserves a massive celebration!

A lovely Alice quote from Lewis Carroll

As much as some people still mock me mercilessly for my choice of degree subjects (my major was Drama, my minor was Business Management), it was the best money I've spent and 3 years of my life that I cherish dearly. When you set out on a drama-based course you do it because you're passionate about it. As much as I've done very little with the drama portion of my degree since, the best thing about studying it was that I got to perform almost every day of the week for those 3 years. Expensive and indulgent? Maybe. I'm glad I also had the good sense to do the business side too, as that has opened a lot of doors in my career and I like to think that the combination of the two subjects has always made me desirable candidate for interviews (it's always a fantastic talking point!). But I loved my studies, I paid my own way through uni (god bless Claire's Accessories for the best part-time job ever!) and now I've even paid off the extra bits I incurred along the way. To me, it was worth every single penny.

I recently read Andy Nyman's The Golden Rules of Acting and it reaffirmed my feelings about my choice of degree; it was the best choice for me and I've never regretted it. I not only came out with a degree in my subjects but it showed me that once you have creative passions in your life you'll always have them with you and you'll still find little uses for them along the way.  When I've had a bit of a tough day I know if I go home and sing for an hour whilst cooking dinner I'll feel a lot better for the rest of the evening (I'm not the best singer by a long shot, but I'm certainly an enthusiastic performer), I've written previously about how dance always has come easily to me, it still does and still feels like the best activity my body can do - I still love performing dearly, even if the only people who get to hear it are my neighbours! But my major creative outlet these days is this blog; I love writing so much and I'm so glad that I sat down 4 years ago today and thought 'right, I'm going to have a go at this'.

I'm going into 35 feeling like I've achieved so much, and I'm pretty confident that my 36th year on this planet has a lot more in store for me yet. :)
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig