My Modern Life Essentials

Recently I've been getting a lot of use out of apps on my iPad; mostly Skype and Face Time. When you have important people in your life scattered all over the country (the world, even) these things have become so useful and important, and I spent one evening last week genuinely wondering what I did before such amazing things came along and allowed me to communicate with those I love who are miles away from me. 

Then I started thinking about all the things I use which have become essentials in my modern life, which I use on a regular basis. It ranged from savings accounts to peanut butter cups, almost like a survival guide for my lifestyle. So here is a definitive guide to my modern life essentials.


Modern Life




::ESSENTIAL TECH::

Modern Life Essentials Apple iPhone iPad Anker Charger

Not a week passes where I don't wonder what I did when my mobile phone was just a phone (I must have spent my life texting). My phone is my connection to my social life, my food diary, my public transport timetable, my bank, my organiser and my camera. It therefore gets through battery power like I get through biscuits, so a pocket charger is a great thing to have in your bag (this one is an Anker Astro Mini and it holds a good full charge and a half). 

I tend to call a lot of people when I'm on the hop, so I love my handsfree earphones. Yes, I'm aware that I look like I'm walking around talking to myself, but I can chat to people and keep my hands warm in my coat pocket, at this time of year that is greatly appreciated. 

My iPad is not just my video phone, it's also my book, my blog reader, my music source and my spare tv. I still think my iPad was the best money I ever spent on myself.

::DAY TO DAY::

Cambridge Satchel


When you spend your life running back and forth over London, a good bag is essential. It needs to be just the right size to hold all your stuff, strong, secure and waterproof. My daily bag is my red Cambridge satchel; two years on it's still the most reliable bag I've owned. If you're umming and ahhing over the cost of one of these, I promise you that they're worth it, 

I'm a public transport girl, so antibac is a bag must, as are contactless cards now that you can use them on buses and tubes in London (and you're great at forgetting your Oyster card like me). You'll always need cash at some point, so I always carry a little with me. 

It's my firm belief that the only way to survive London is good footwear. I'm fan of boots, Converse and flip flops. Always have something flat. 


::BEAUTY::

Lexi Necklace


If we're considering everything is this list, then I have to talk about beauty. I'm pretty low maintenance but the stuff I do use I use daily. Top of my list will always be moisturiser, ideally with SPF in to help keep your skin in tip-top condition (I also suggest a daily multivitamin for this, but it also helps keep you topped up with other vitamin and minerals too). When it comes to make-up I'm a firm believer that with a nude and a bright lipstick in your bag you're covered for all occasions (personally, I'd throw in a good eyeliner pen and mascara too, but that's just me). 

I don't wear a lot of jewellery, I tend to alternate a couple of my favourite necklaces, I rarely wear different earrings and some days I even forget to wear my wedding ring - I suck at accessorising!).

::GROWN UP STUFF::

Things to do today


Get yourself organised. Especially when it comes to money. You will sleep better at night for it. I'm a fan of making life as easy as possible when it comes to finances so I have separate bank accounts for my bills, my spending money and my savings (then I can't stuff up and spend my bills money). I have all my standard outgoings on a spreadsheet, so I know exactly how much money I need to cover all my bills each month, my savings account is run on a standing order to remove an amount from my pay each month as soon as it hits my bank and whatever is left is fun (spending) money. Dead easy. 

I used to be the girl who could not function without a Filofax. Sadly my Filofax is the thing that sits on my desk and is used for birthdays and addresses. My best find this year was a countdown app for my phone, which I use as to log all my diary dates and events in, so I can't double book (I am brilliant at double booking myself). I can see a nice countdown to my next event and see all my dates quickly on one screen. Fantastic.

::PEARLS OF WISDOM::

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups


This last section is a bit gratuitous, but still important to make life as nice as possible. First up, give yourself a day off every now and then, or you will burn out. To me, this is just a weekend at home, no extra plans. Just a bit of household chores, collecting dry cleaning, going to the local shops, going to the gym, having a few hours laying around in my lounge pants. It sounds like a lot, but to me it's a perfect quiet weekend. I need one of these every month or so to ground myself, keep my flat tidy and not spend money!

Next, you need a good hangover survival technique, even if it's not alcohol-induced. I've had food hangovers, gig hangovers and gin hangovers (the worst ever). Recovery can be a day off (as above), a disco nap in the afternoon (great if you've got another night out straight after) or, my personal favourite for the booze ones: ready salted crisps and Lucozade Sport whilst watching bad tv. Hey, we all have vices. 

If you can get yourself into a good bedtime routine then you'll reap the benefits every single day. I'm one of those (annoying) morning people, so I tend not to have many late nights (unless I get a disco nap). I tend to go to bed around the same time each night, sleep for the same amount of hours and wake up naturally without an alarm clock (smugface). This routine makes for a good sleep, my body feels happy as it knows what it's doing and I tend to wake up at a reasonable hour on a weekend (and write things like this, as I'm most creative after sleep) and get the most out of my weekends. I'm not saying I never sleep in until 11am, but it's not a common occurrence unless I've been out partying until 3am.

This final essential is one of my favourites, for obvious reasons, You need to have an indulgence in your life. This can be anything you love which you've designated as a treat. For me, it's a night in with a favourite film and a handful of Peanut Butter Cups. It's simple, it feels like a real treat, it evokes happy memories and makes me smile. Everyone needs a little thing like this in their life every now and then. 

Modern life is brilliant and a total nightmare in equal measure, so it pays to try and make it as easy as possible.

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

3 comments:

  1. My life essentials would be quite similar. I love the sound of the countdown app, which one do you use?
    Spreadsheets for finances are a saviour, I took note of that from you a long time ago :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The app is called Countdown+ and it's the same picture as you see in the post, so you should be able to find it in the app store. It's a free one too.
      Yay for financial spreadsheets! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig