The Doctor Who Experience

It was my birthday last month. I have this rule that I never work on my birthday (it's MY day, no one else is having my time) so I always plan a day out somewhere fun. This year I decided to go where any respecting 36 year old nerd would go to celebrate - Cardiff to the Doctor Who Experience. 

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015
I am as excited as I look. Maybe more. 

The journey from London to Cardiff takes just over two hours on the train (and FGW have free wifi, so the time just flies by) and then you're looking at a good 30 minute walk from the station to the Bay. It's about 2.5 miles. You could get a cab, but it was a beautiful couple of spring days in Cardiff, so I did everything on foot as usual. It's all flat, so it's not very taxing. 

Highlights include walking past somewhere call Silurian Park on the way there: 


and you can check-in on social media on at Torchwood as you come onto the bay! 



The Time Lords were not on my side that morning as when I arrived the staff were having some technical difficulties with the first part of the experience, but they let me go raid the gift shop and have a quick look around the museum part first whilst I waited for tech issues to get resolved. 20 minutes later, I was handed my time crystal and I was good to go! 

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

There's no photos/videos allowed in this part of the tour, as you have too many other things to do like fly one of the TARDIS consoles, land on Skaro and run away from Daleks, walk through a forest full of Weeping Angels before you end up back in Totter's Lane scrap yard. Just to give you an idea of how the Doctor copes with all these things here's a video by DWE on YouTube, as you'll see, it's all gone a bit timey-wimey: 




After that adventure, you get to run around the museum. Well I ran around it like an excited child anyway. 

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015
Look it's the round things? I love the round things! 

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015
Here's all my cosplay ideas for the next 5 years ... 

The thing I loved most here was getting to see detail; the amount put into the sets, monsters and costumes. It's also a neat way to gauge how tall the actors are. I reckon Joanna Page's Queen Elizabeth costume would fit me perfectly and, despite age, how tall is Diana Rigg?

There was lots of nice new additions from Day of the Doctor and the latest series as well: 


Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015
Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015

If you get a quiet period, I can highly recommend running around Tenth's TARDIS console room with your Converse on; there's something really satisfying about making all the floor grating rattle while you pretend to be The Doctor (I'm 36, I swear, I'll show you my passport if I have to...)

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015 Alex Marshall
When I say run ... 

There's opportunities for daft selfies EVERYWHERE: 

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015 Alex Marshall

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015 Alex Marshall


(If you're wondering what tshirt I'm wearing, it's this one which I picked up at Comic Con last year: )

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015 Alex Marshall

I did the gift shop before the Experience, which I think was the right order as otherwise I may have gotten too excited and spent more than I had done (ahhh, this is why they tell you to go in at the end ... I see ...)

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015
BLOODY LOVE SOME GIFT SHOP ACTION!

The hoodie and tshirt are Experience exclusives, and I wanted to get things that I couldn't get anywhere else. I can never resist and fridge magnet and a pin badge and, as the Welsh Government charge for carrier bags (bravo Wales!) I bought a canvas bag to put all my goodies in. 

The guide costs £7, bearing in mind entrance to the Experience only cost £14, so I thought this was a little steep: 

Doctor Who Experience Cardiff Bay 2015


A lot of what's in it I've read before in a book called Doctor Who: The Vault (which at the moment is only a fiver on Amazon for a hardback copy and well worth it!) but it's got some up-to-date bits in there about Capaldi Doctor and design etc. 

I have done the Doctor Who Experience in various other forms before: I went to Museum in Blackpool in 2005 (now closed and contents added to the DWE), I went to the DWE when it originally landed in Earl's Court in 2008 and in Olympia in 2011, and a lot of it had been updated compared to my last visit. I also preferred Capaldi commanding me on how to fly the TARDIS as opposed to Smith, but that might just be my personal taste. 

It's worth the money, it's worth the train journey, it's worth running around on top of the Torchwood hub afterwards as the sun shines: 

Doctor Who Experience Alex Marshall Cardiff Bay 2015

...but anything which makes a Whovian smile THIS MUCH has to be worth every single penny. 

No dude, I'm not playing chess with you, you'll kick my arse. 

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig