Revisiting The Mousetrap

One of the first pieces of theatre I saw in London was Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap, otherwise known as the longest running show, of any kind, in the whole world.

source





I love a murder mystery. My love of this genre is complete traceable back to spending Sunday afternoons at home with my mum, watching Columbo and Poirot together, eating jam sandwiches and drinking a lot of tea. To this day this is why I can never resist Midsomer Murders. I love a human puzzle, they're the most fun.

Back to The Mousetrap. I first saw this play when I was 15 years old. It was 1994, I was in London visiting my brother, and it was the most exciting thing a girl from West Yorkshire had done, EVER. London theatre is so fancy, right? Local theatre step aside, I'm going to see the good stuff and I'm going in a fancy, new dress. 

Last year I got into a chat about The Mousetrap with my friend, who saw it almost ten years before I did, and we were discussing 'the secret of The Mousetrap'. Turns out, we both appear to have had some kind of theatre-exit amnesia and neither of us could remember who-actually-dunnit. 'Well, that's baffling' I said. 'Maybe we should go see it again next year and see if it rings any bells'

And so, this was my birthday present.




St Martin's theatre is still beautiful and is a proper old London theatre. It feels cosy with only 550 seats. The best thing about the old theatres is that even in the upper circle you're still quite close to the action - it's high but not deep - if you catch my drift. Upper Circle tickets are therefore great value for the price (clocking in around £28). There's less legroom than the stalls, but the play isn't Shakespeare and therefore you're not sat for longer than an hour at each side of the interval. 

Okay, as I disclosed, it's been a while since I saw this play but the ending was different. I think. I may have confused it in my head with something else, they may have done a switch in the story (which is my theory, has it really been running for almost 7 decades on the same ending?!). My friend said he remembered it differently too - at which point we compared notes and we're now sure we both saw completely different plays. EHHHHHH. I don't know, it was a great performance, though.

Agatha Christie goes very light on clues in the first half, less so in the second, that said there were still gasps from the audience when the killer was revealed, so I guess the old formulas still work. 

I'd happily go see it again, just to see what ending I get next,  but I'll try not to leave it 22 years this time.

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig