Edinburgh Fringe 2016

If you follow me on Instagram, you'll have had no way of avoiding my Edinburgh updates and story posts a couple of weeks back, I went up for a long weekend at the Edinburgh International Fringe Festival.




I'd not been since 2013, so this time I wanted to make a longer weekend of it and see as many shows as I possibly could.

I AirBnB'd again (does anyone use hotels since these things existed? I love AirBnb!) and stayed in a small flat down by the Scottish Parliament.






This was perfect as it was a big walk up a hill every morning, but a big walk down hill after a long day!



Here's the shows I went to:

Bethany Black - (Extra)Ordinary

Abandoman - Life + Rhymes

Mitch Benn - Don't Fear the Reaper

Dolly Wants to Die

Robert Newman: The Brain Show

Brandon Burns and Colt Cabana do Comedy Commentary to Bad Wresting Matches!

The nice thing about Fringe is that you can do a really wide variety of shows, which I did. Bethany does funny, self-deprecating stand up about her life and all the twists she's experienced along the way, Abandoman do improvised rap, with a celtic twist (there was a hip-hop ceilidh, I'm not even joking), Mitch, who I first heard on Radio 4, writes brilliant parody-feel songs about life (and in this case, death) interspersed with stand-up, Dolly allowed the brilliant Helen Monks to tell audiences how stupid somethings in life really are (mashed up with some satire and feminism), Robert did a lovely, heart-warming show about brain science and emotions and Brandon and Colt did exactly what their show title said they would - and I laughed so hard that my face hurt. That deserved a selfie with Colt: 

Everyone loves a muppet face selfie!

Aside from all these brilliant shows, there was tons of other things to indulge in. I went to some amazing places for food and drink, like the super stylish The City Cafe, whose breakfast is enormous and comes with bottomless coffee for £8.50.




I found a Tanqueray Secret Gin Garden, where I tried Jinzu for the first time, with apple and elderflower:






My friend & I spent a lot of time just hanging out it George's Square between shows as it was pretty central and was home to a few venues and bars. A pint of Coast to Coast was only £4.50 and each one was filled to the brim!





There was an impressionist exhibition on at the National Gallery, which could not have been more up my street as I love me some Monet and Van Gogh.




But also Edinburgh is just BEAUTIFUL!





I mean, it's hilly, so you need at least 2 pairs of comfy shoes to rotate. The venues can be far apart, so leave an hour between your shows (not 20 minutes, like I had between Mitch and Helen's shows ...) and you will see 4 seasons in one day when it comes to weather, so bring layers and a brolly.


All hillwalking. Thanks for the cardio, Edinburgh. 


Despite extending my stay longer than last time, I'm going to have to extend my trip longer next time, as there was easily another day of shows I could have done.

Edinburgh, I'll be back next year. For longer, with more shoes.


SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig