It's Britney, Bitch

This month sees the ninth chapter of The Bible being published, I of course mean Britney's latest album; Glory.

The Guardian celebrated this by writing an article with 10 of the best Britney songs in it. I don't mean to sound negative, but it sucks, so superfan here ::waves:: is going to write a blog post with a better list.

I have the goods to back up this article; I've been a fan since day one, I've an extensive CD and DVD collection (I might have gone minimal, but I'm not throwing those things out!) and I've been to three (count 'em, THREE) of Britney's world tours. 

No, YOU'RE obsessed. 

Let's start at the beginning, shall we?

... Baby One More Time (1999)

The title track of this album is my karaoke song, it's full of cute love songs (I've definitely sang Born to Make you Happy when a bit drunk) and she does a fantastic cover of The Beat Goes On at the end of the album too.




Oops!...I Did It Again (2000)

Stronger. That is all. 



Britney (2001)

I remember playing this album a lot and watching the Live in Vegas DVD of this with my best friend even more. I think I like this album so much because of the positive associations with that dvd. Her cover of I Love Rock n' Roll has is another karaoke favourite, Overprotected was another night out with the girls dancing favourite ... and then there's a I'm a Slave 4U. I don't know what it is about this song but every time I've seen it performed live ... goosebumps.



In the Zone (2003)

This album opens with the collaboration with Madonna on Me Against the Music (and this mix is an absolute banger), there's the 'suicide' video that accompanied Everytime and the legend that is Toxic. Frankly, if anyone doesn't think this is the best pop song of the 2000's, then I'd question your judgement.




Toxic was famously turned down my Kylie Minogue, which made me start Googling songs that were turned down by other artists. Britney turned down Umbrella, which went to Rihanna. Small word, innit?


A greatest hits album made an appearance in 2004, which gave us a decent cover of a Bobby Brown song, sadly the video had K-Fed all over it. Ugh, Britney.


Blackout (2007)

2007 was a rough year in Britney terms and as much as I wasn't keen on this album at first, it's a grower. Piece of Me is a fantastic 'fuck you' to the press and Ooh Ooh Baby is a brilliant sexy dance track. 



Circus (2008)

This album accompanied another world tour so I listened to it A LOT. If the repetition in Womanizer didn't hook you, then nothing can. My top album track is Lace and Leather but as album tracks vary on release locations, outside the UK you can find one called Quicksand, which was orginally penned by Lady Gaga. As much as Gaga now says it's barely recognisable from the track she handed over I think you can still hear her stylistic fingerprints all over it.





Femme Fatale (2011)

Okay, this one I did play to death because I loved it. This showed the start of the EDM phase for Britney and therefore there's a lot of bangers on here. I Wanna Go - banger. Up and Down - banger. Trouble for Me - sexy banger. Then there's Criminal, which was filmed in London, so it has a special place in my heart.



She snuck out 3 at the same time, which as you would predict, is about threesomes (oh you!) and we have to talk about this collab with Rihanna, because ... wow.



Britney Jean (2013)

EDM ALARM! Work Bitch has landed! This is an absolute BANGER (capslock necessary) and was the start of Vegas Residency Britney (a trip I'm trying to line up for my next big birthday in a few years time). I'm very fond of Perfume too, as let's be honest, we've all been that girl at some point in life...




And so we arrive at Glory, 17 years on. At the time of writing I've only heard one track as I'm a good girl who avoids spoilers, and I like to listen to an album in the correct track listing order for the first couple of times (did The Beatles and Taylor Swift teach us nothing?!) so you'll probably get my views on it at a later date.

Maybe in another 9 albums time, eh?


If you'd like a Britney playlist, come have a blast of mine on Spotify. 
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. WE LOVE BRITNEY! :D

    I really do love all of her albums. I think Blackout, Circus and Glory are my growers. I never liked either of them first off but love them all after a few listenings :)

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig